The career scope of a data migration specialist is ever-growing. Leading recruiters have a lot of openings for data migration experts with good pay. Also, you cannot forget that data migration is a highly competitive domain. You are likely to get surrounded by people having in-depth migration knowledge when appearing for an interview. Understandably, it can be a challenging time for you if you aren’t prepared enough. Sounds scary, right? Don’t worry!
The merry news is that you can prepare for such hiring processes and edge out your competitors effortlessly. All you need is to get a glimpse of the most common data migration interview questions and get more prepared than ever. Here’s how an interview questionnaire can benefit you.
- They make you more confident for a data migration job interview.
- You can identify your strong and weak concepts and re-prepare accordingly.
- They assist you in maintaining a calm temperament before interviews.
Now, it’s time to walk through the questionnaire regardless of whether you are a self-learner or a Data Science bootcamp grad. Let’s get started!
Top 18 Data Migration Interview Questions
Here’s the ultimate data migration interview questionnaire, which you can refer to after wrapping up your preparations. Follow along!
1. Mention the difference between ETL and data migration?
Data migration and ETL involve moving data from a source to the destination. However, migration retains the data format, whereas ETL changes it in the “extract” process.
2. What are some of the data migration challenges?
Some of the challenges in a data migration process are:
- Not knowing everything about the data source
- Undermining the data analysis process
- Inefficient use of integrated processes
- Lack of a suitable data migration strategy
- Lesser or no collaboration among teams
- Insufficient use of data migration expertise
3. How to ensure data integrity during migration?
We can maintain data integrity during migration by the following measures:
- Ensuring rigorous quality control
- Creating and monitoring the audit trails
- Designing process maps
- Mitigating security vulnerabilities during migration
- Implementing error detection software
4. Explain the data migration process in the SQL server.
Typically, a data migration process in an SQL server comprises four steps.
- Data extraction from source to an intermediate server
- Changing data formats to the one prescribed at the destination
- Cleansing and aggregating data
- Loading the cleansed and aggregated data to the desired database
5. What are the things to consider in a data migration plan?
We must keep an eye on the following parameters during migration:
- Auditing the source database is essential and should not be overlooked.
- Cleansing the dataset is a prerequisite to further migration processes.
- Maintaining data integrity is a must for high-performing migration strategies.
- Auditing and governance should lie parallel during all data migration steps.
6. How do you clean a database before migration?
The steps to clean a database are:
- Filtering out unnecessary data from a database
- Evaluate if the database has invalid data
- Replacing or removing missing data
- Investing in data backup for unexpected accidents
7. What is the meaning of data cleansing in a migration process? Why is it important?
Data cleansing refers to the process of determining missing or invalid records in a dataset and modifying the columns and tuples accordingly. Cleansing is an essential step in data migration as it enhances database quality, making the process more productive.
8. What is dirty data? Give some examples.
Data that is responsible for the loss of data integrity in a database is called dirty data. Some examples of dirty data are misspelled words, typing mistakes, redundant data, and so on.
9. What are the differences between data cleansing and processing?
The differences between data cleansing and processing are:
- Data processing is the process of collecting and manipulating data for further steps. In contrast, data cleansing is the method of eliminating invalid data from a database.
- Data processing comes after data cleansing.
- Data processing relies on hardware components like RAM and GPU. However, data cleansing has no such requirements.
- Data cleansing is a more straightforward process than data processing.
10. What are the factors determining the time taken in a data migration process?
The factors determining the length of a data migration process are:
- The size of the database
- The speed of data transfer between the source/intermediate server to the target database
- Occurrence and removal of errors in the database
- The chosen data migration path.
11. Name any four types of data migration.
The four types of data migration are:
- Storage migration
- Application migration
- Cloud migration
- Database migration
12. Why is data migration necessary?
Data migration is necessary because:
- It lets you upgrade to the latest infrastructure.
- It ensures cost-effectiveness and security.
- It allows you to scale according to current paradigms.
13. Do you know the difference between data migration and data conversion?
Data migration is transferring data from a source to the destination while maintaining its integrity. In contrast, data conversion involves moving the data from one format to the other.
14. What do you mean by the incremental load in ETL?
Incremental load refers to applying dynamic changes within a stipulated deadline or regularly in installments.
15. What is an operational data store?
The intermediate storage between data staging and warehousing is the operational data store. We can find data having low granularity in the Operational data store.
16. What is data integrity?
Data integrity is the process of maintaining consistency and precision of data throughout the data migration lifecycle. A strategy that supports data integrity is a good one.
17. Name some ETL tools.
Some of the best ETL tools are:
- Business Objects XI
- SAP Business Warehouse
- Oracle Warehouse Builder
- Cognos Decision Stream
- SAS Enterprise ETL Server
18. What do you mean by tracing level?
Tracing level refers to the amount of data that a log file contains. It has two types:
You are all set to slay at a data migration job interview once you prepare the above questions. Besides, you can practice some SQL and ETL questions to remain on the safest side. Also, the interviewer might ask you questions about your experiences with data migration. Finally, walk into the interview confidently and bag any job effortlessly. Good luck!
How to Meet the Expectations of the Tenants Renting Your Property
If you are the property owner of a rental property, then you must meet the expectations of your tenants, whether they are long-term renters or short-term renters. Short-term renters are usually renters of vacation rental homes and rent for a period shorter than six months….
Which Aspects to Inspect Before Buying an Apartment?
Apartment inspection is an opportunity for interested buyers to know about things that they cannot see. Usually, the things that are not visible to our eyes are more problematic and could affect your living experience in an apartment. For a better decision and to find…
Houses for Sale in Chicago: Latest News, Trends, and Forecast
If you’re considering buying houses for sale in Chicago, keep in mind that the average home in the United States has increased by 32.6%. Right now it’s a seller’s market which can feel overwhelming. You might wonder what your options are for affordable homes in…
Structural Features when Buying a Rental Property
The facilities available in a house play a vital role in the purchase decision regarding that house. When you have chosen some houses from which you will rent to buy home. Next, you have to review the facilities which are available near the neighborhood where…
The Importance of Note Taking Skills for Students
In a student’s life, one of the most important skills they must be familiar with includes notes taking. Taking good notes comes with multiple benefits, but the most important one being they will be able to ace their academics. For other reasons, read ahead to…
7 Ways to Spark Creativity and Imagination in Your Kids
There are several phases and methods for kids to learn and grow. A number of researches have proved that kids get innovative, creative, and imaginative if they experience certain scenarios and instances. One may think that imagination is not an important aspect of a kid’s…
How might students earn money while studying
Studying in a college is a splendid chance, and numerous school attendees guarantee that they’re probably the most significant long periods of their lives. You’re given a ton of leisure time to acquire remarkable encounters. Bring money for studies, and blend with individual students. Nonetheless,…
The Secret to Maximizing Your In-House Writing
When it comes to hiring in-house content writers, ghost writers are the best option you can opt for. Ghostwriting is the voice of a company and work under their tagline as an author and don’t get credited for their work. They write content for a…
50 Most Popular Women
50 most popular women: Lady Gaga Kesha Madonna Orphan Wifey Lana Del Ray Rihanna Justin Bieber Miley Cyrus Paris Hilton Avril Lavigne Shakira Taylor Swift Angelina Jolie Rihanna Megan Fox Jessica Simpson Jennifer Lopez Adriana Lima Tina Fey Carmen Electra Scarlett Johansson Eva Longoria Mariah…
Product Boohoo Reviews: Is It Good and Safe For You?
Shopping for fashion sales online has been a favorite pastime for several. Who doesn’t love tons, huh? But once you pip out from foreign sites, it can often be an assortment, and you run the danger of getting an object that doesn’t appear as if…
Shop For Your Contact Lenses Online And Save
Over the years, many consumers have grown accustomed to doing their shopping online. On balance, the consumer’s original concerns over security and the safeguards provided by online retailers for the protection of their private information have diminished over time as a direct consequence of the…
Best Online Beauty Stores For Make-up And Skincare
Makeup and skincare are the two things that need the most consideration and thought before you buy them. However, you can’t always go to a departmental store or a makeup shop yourself to compare and buy your favorite skincare products. Thus comes the option of…