Vertigo is a condition characterized by sudden spells of nausea, dizziness, motion sickness, vomiting, & sometimes, headaches of migraine intensity. Vertigo isn’t a disorder in itself, rather always a symptom of some underlying condition, whether diagnosed or undiagnosed. Although Vertigo isn’t a fatal or dangerous condition in itself, it can cause a lot of problems for people who experience it. The dizziness & spinning sensation that occurs along with Vertigo can make life very difficult indeed for patients. It stops them from performing various day-to-day activities.
Vertigo is of two types:
- Central Vertigo: Central Vertigo is caused by problems in the brain. It affects how the brain transmits & interprets information regarding the body’s balance signals. Any issues with processing this information can lead to Vertigo attacks, disbalance, & bouts of dizziness.
- Peripheral Vertigo: Peripheral Vertigo is caused by problems in the inner ear. The inner ear houses the body’s vestibular system, which is responsible for maintaining the balance of the body. The vestibular system involves the ears, the eyes, & the brain working together in perfect tandem to maintain the body’s position.
When the inner ear’s functioning is disrupted by infections or any viral illnesses, the inner ear can’t send appropriate balance signals to the brain. This causes problems with the body’s balance & posture. BPPV Vertigo is one of the most common types of peripheral vertigo and affects about 80% of all people with vertigo.
BPPV Vertigo occurs when tiny calcium crystals called canaliths get displaced from their original position & get deposited in the semicircular canal of the inner ear. These calcium crystals are sensitive to any motion stimulus, & thus they cause problems with the body’s balance whenever the patient moves their head. BPPV Vertigo treatment involves maneuvers that can move these calcium crystals from the semicircular canal to their original position. These maneuvers include a lot of well-known Vertigo exercises. The Epley Maneuver, the Semont-Maneuver, the Brandt-Daroff exercises, & the Semont-Foster maneuver are some examples.
All of these Vertigo exercises are helpful for BPPV Vertigo treatment in varying degrees. They need to be performed the recommended number of times for effective results.
In this article, we’ll discuss the Semont Maneuver for BPPV Vertigo treatment. Below is a detailed step-by-step guide to performing it.
What is the Semont maneuver for BPPV Vertigo treatment?
Named after its inventor, Dr. Alain Semont, the Semont maneuver is a posterior canal maneuver. It is designed to displace the calcium crystals back to their original position.
Their goal is to promote the motion of canaliths from the more sensitive posterior canal location, back to their original position. This is in the less sensitive zones of the ear. The Semont maneuver for Vertigo takes about 15 minutes to perform. It works by dislodging the calcium crystals from the cupula into the vestibule where they originally reside. It is usually easy to perform, & is best done under the supervision of a trained physiotherapist or Vertigo specialist.
How to perform the Semont Maneuver for BPPV Vertigo treatment?
To perform the Semont Maneuver, follow the instructions given below. Note that these instructions are to perform the Semont maneuver from the left ear & side.
- Sit on the edge of the bed, & turn your head 45 degrees to the right.
- Next, quickly lie down on your left side, & hold this position for 30 seconds.
- Now, quickly move & lie down on the opposite end of the bed, without changing the direction of your head. Keep your head at a 45-degree angle while looking at the floor. Hold this position for at least 30 seconds.
- Return to your original position slowly, & wait for some time to let the dizziness pass.
- Next, repeat these steps on the right ear & side.
Perform the maneuver at least thrice every day, until you notice no Vertigo symptoms in a period of 24 hours.
Precautions to take with Semont Maneuver for BPPV:
Like with every other BPPV maneuver, the Semont Maneuver for BPPV Vertigo can trigger dizziness & bouts of vertigo. Hence, it’s advisable to always bring along someone to drive you back home whenever you’re going for one of your Vertigo exercise sessions. You should also not indulge in any activities that require you to stand up or concentrate for long periods immediately after performing the Semont maneuver.
Tips to follow after performing the Semont Maneuver:
Additionally, BPPV patients should also abide by the following set of instructions:
- The patients should sleep with their head halfway between being flat & upright at a 45 degrees angle. This can easily be done with the help of a recliner chair, or by placing several pillows behind your head. Patients should also try their best to keep their heads in a vertical position throughout the day. They should also avoid visits to the dentist & the hairdresser for a couple of days after the procedure. A patient must also not perform exercises that require any amount of head movement immediately after performing the Semont maneuver.
- The Patients must also avoid moving their heads in any positions that can trigger bouts of BPPV Vertigo. Some precautions to this end may involve the following. Sleeping with pillows under your head, avoiding sleeping on the ‘bad’ side, & avoiding turning your head far up or down. Any exercises for low back pain should be avoided for at least a week, along with sit-ups & ‘crawl’ swimming.
- Patients must also not start the Brandt-Daroff maneuver immediately after the Semont Maneuver, or 2 days after it. Patients should also avoid any exercises that include far head-forward positions, for eg., touching your toes.
This is how to check the effectiveness of the Semont Maneuver for BPPV Vertigo treatment. Try putting yourself in Vertigo-inducing positions after one week of performing the Semont Maneuver. You should ideally not feel any dizziness or any other Vertigo symptoms when you do this. If this is the case, then consider the Semont Maneuver successful. However, if you still experience dizziness or any other Vertigo symptoms, you should consult your doctor & book another appointment. You can also start another BPPV maneuver depending on your particular condition & diagnosis.
The success rate for the Semont Maneuver for BPPV Vertigo treatment:
All things considered, the Semont Maneuver for BPPV Vertigo treatment is considered up to 90% effective. It is, however, not as popular as the Epley Maneuver. This is why it is usually the second option after the former doesn’t work on the patient.
A Bajaj Finserv Personal Loan At Low Interest Rate
Personal loans now account for nearly 28% of overall bank credit in India. Thanks to such growth figures, they are among the fastest-growing modes of short-term financing in India. The number of personal loan accounts with traditional lending institutions increased by a little over 17%…
7 Most Stunning Restaurant Interior Design in UAE
There’s no shortage of places like cafes and restaurants to visit. Each with a unique elemental cafe interior design and themes has people going crazy not for food but to have a luxurious experience. A restaurant’s design is a reflection of its branding and vision….
Can Investing In Rent To Own Perth Homes Increase
Buyers have diversified choices of buying from various housing schemes, but the trick to achieving the best is to select the one that gives the most excellent benefits. The one scheme that provides the best to the buyers is Rent To Own Perth Homes. Vital…
What are the benefits of buying and renting?
Both buying and renting property have their own advantages, but reaping the advantages of each option in-part depends on your immediate and long-term goals for the property. Businesses often struggle to decide which option, between buying or renting, is the better choice to make and…
Things a Kid Should Learn In Kindergarten
Education is the key to success. Educating kids in the early stages of life makes them confident for their future. Early practicing makes them fluent in reading and writing. It also improves their performance and makes them smart. However, it is quite difficult for a…
A Quality Information about Oracle 1z0-1049-20 Exam
Oracle 1Z0-1049-20 Reparation Cloud-computing supplies a Training alternative for Oracle staff members who want reimbursement cloud calculating providers. Even the Oracle Certification Program (OCP) was made to help employees realize the requirements necessary to finish an extensive and hands-on training class at Oracle. This app…
Does CA final Test May 2021 is effective for graduates?
Before proceeding into ca intern, you need to know what ca is and how it makes variations to your life. Are you on the borderline of deciding your work path? It is a time in your life when you a thousand options, suggestions, and much…
Mistakes Avoid During the School Nursery Admissions
Are you struggling to find one nursery admission? Do you need help with nursery admission? Is it your first time looking for a nursery school for your child? If your answer to any of these questions is an affirmative ‘yes’, you have landed in the…
How to Pick the Wedding Band That Matches Personality
The wedding band and the engagement ring are two combinations made for each other. Your future spouse has already said yes and once she did you must have started to plan to find the perfect wedding band. Although women are more than keen and happy…
Popular Vasansi Designer Kurti Online Among Teenagers
Designer Kurti Online are in trend these days and the Teenagers have a huge demand for Kurti For Women Online. Vasansi has brought you a very special Kurti On Sale for Teenagers to adorn on Ethnic Occasions and look glamorous. Statement set by Vasansi Jaipur…
Tips to wear women’s camisole tank tops
Camisole tank top is a tried-and-true staple that deserves a rightful space in your wardrobe. Having a basic colored camisole top hanging in your closet gives you the motivation to style your outfits differently. But admit that tank tops stay in-fashion even when seasons change…
Tips to Choose Jewellery Cleaning Services in Winnipeg
Want to hire jewellery cleaning services? Don’t know how to choose a reliable company? If yes, then you need to read the below-given tips. With the help of these tips, it will become easy for you to find trustworthy jewellery professionals. Take references – Start searching…